Over the weekend, the new traffic lights along the “virtual traffic circle” (aka. “Dave Thomas Circle”) were activated. Thus, the final traffic pattern of the circle is live. Although DDOT has yet to publish the new pattern on its site, I have drawn the two routes into Eckington that are now possible:
- Eastbound New York Avenue (which allows one to return home from I-395 without having to turn onto M Street and North Capitol Street)
- Northbound 1st Street NE.
- The green traffic light at the O Street “turnaround” (to access westbound Florida Avenue) is currently only 5 seconds.
- From eastbound New York Avenue, approach the “circle” in the right-most lane. Upon yielding right onto O Street, shift to the left lane in order to turn north and await the traffic light.
- The success of this route–like all routes along the virtual traffic circle–depends on drivers not blocking intersections.
- Final paving/lane painting is supposed to begin this evening.