UPDATE – Implementation delayed 1 week–June 11th is the new date.
The first phase of the New York-Florida Avenues “virtual traffic circle” is scheduled to be implemented this Friday at 9 pm.
The temporary traffic pattern is below:
- New York Avenue traffic (both directions): no changes
- Florida Avenue traffic (eastbound): must turn RIGHT at 1st Street, LEFT at New York Avenue, RIGHT on Florida Avenue (or RIGHT at 1st Street, LEFT on M Street, LEFT on 3rd Street, RIGHT on Florida Avenue)
- Florida Avenue traffic (westbound): no changes
From Eckington, to get to:
- New York Avenue (northbound): RIGHT on Florida Avenue, LEFT on 1st Street, LEFT on New York Avenue
- New York Avenue (southbound): RIGHT on Florida Avenue, LEFT on 1st Street, RIGHT on New York Avenue
- Florida Avenue (eastbound): RIGHT on Florida Avenue, LEFT on 1st Street, RIGHT on New York Avenue, RIGHT on Florida Avenue
- First Street: becomes only one-way southbound from Florida Avenue to New York Avenue.
- Florida Avenue: becomes one-way westbound between New York Avenue and First Street.
- Eckington Place (southbound): no longer allowed to turn left on Florida Avenue.
- First Street (northbound): to access New York (northbound) or Florida Avenues (westbound), temporarily detoured via M and Third Streets, NE.
Also note that this is not the final traffic pattern. Based on the National Capital Planning Commission’s proposal (mentioned in this post), which we assume to be the model for the final plan, the final phasing of the “virtual traffic circle” will be:
The largest effect from the final pattern on Eckingtonians will be the return drive from I-395: instead of having to turn onto M Street NW and left onto Florida Avenue, we will now have the option of remaining on New York Avenue all the way to the “virtual traffic circle” (veering onto O Street, left onto Florida Avenue, right onto Eckington Place).